The 13th Annual Northwest String Summit will take place July 17th – July 20th at beautiful Horning’s Hideout, North Plains, OR!
The event will again feature 3 nights of Yonder Mountain String Band and much, much more! Sign up for our newsletter and stay tuned for more announcements!
The Turn Left at the Peacock documentary captures the adoration and energy of the Northwest String Summit, a music festival held annually at Horning’s Hideout neat Portland, Oregon, and hosted by Yonder Mountain String Band. Get a look behind the scenes and find out what has drawn thousands to this remarkable event over the last twelve years. From the music, to the people and the beauty of Horning’s, Turn Left at the Peacock brings the audience home to this magical experience.
There are T-shirts, stickers, posters, bandanas and more! http://turnleftatthepeacock.gostorego.com/
Congratulations to the The Lil’ Smokies of Missoula, MT for winning the 2013 Band Competition! The String Off semifinals with Steep Ravine was very appropriate! We’ll see you next year! Thank you to Wayword Vessel and Jonathan & The Billy Goats as well.
Northwest String Summit & Stumptown Bliss are teaming up to LIVE STREAM the festival! We’ll bring you 40+ Hours of music. Now anyone, from anywhere, for the first time ever can be part of the epic Northwest String Summit experience. Stumptown Bliss and Northwest String Summit are happy to announce that this year’s String Summit will be broadcasted live from Horning’s Hideout!
Go here for details and to subscribe: www.stumptownbliss.net
www.stumptownbliss.net/2013-northwest-string-summit-list — with Leftover Salmon, Yonder Mountain String Band, Head for the Hills, Scott Law, Greensky Bluegrass, Horse Feathers, Keller Williams, The Pimps of Joytime, David Grisman and David Grisman Bluegrass Exp. at Hornings Hideout.
Congratulations to the Ninkasi Brewing String Off Finalists. We are so excited to see you all play and we’re eager to see who the winner will be to go on and compete at Northwest String Summit Ninkasi Northwest Local Stage on Saturday, July 20th.
The competition will start at 5pm.
Here is the lineup:
5pm: Brown Chicken Brown Cow String Band
6pm: Kitchen Dwellers
7pm: Old Bear Mountain
There will also be a short of the NWSS Documentary Turn Left at the Peacock shown in between sets as well as a tapping of the NWSS specialty brew Cluster Pluck Session Ale.
Introducing the FURTHUR BUS TWEENER STAGE.
Back by popular demand, Furthur Bus and Zane will be back this year, positioned appropriately at the top of the amphitheater bowl, perfectly placed for MORE live music in-between Main Stage sets on top of the Furthur Bus!
Tweener Sets by:
Scott Law & Friends
Big E & Friends
Benny “BURLE” Galloway
The Giraffe Dodgers
and others throughout the weekend!
How Green Is Your Grass? Campsite Challenge
The Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics is teaming up with the Northwest String Summit for the premier of the Leave No Trace Campsite Challenge! This is a competition for all attendees of the Northwest String Summit to show off the efforts made to have a clean, creative, and sustainable camp while at the festival. Each day, two campsites will be chosen, one at random and one by the staff of Leave No Trace and Northwest String Summit. Daily prizes will be given to each selected camp, including a “Strummit Green Team” t-shirt, Coleman camping gear, and a one-year membership to Leave No Trace. The two daily winners will be entered to win the grand prize of free festival passes for next year!
Entering the competition is easy- just swing by the Leave No Trace booth to get your entry form and describe how you and your camp are practicing Leave No Trace and creating a clean, creative, and sustainable camp. Join in on the fun!
How Do I Participate?
Use these Guidelines to help green your campsite
The contest is open to all campers attending the String Summit. To nominate your own campsite or one of your neighbors:
- Come by the Leave No Trace booth and submit a campsite entry form, including a sketch of your campsite.
- Stop by the Leave No Trace booth each day to view all the campsite entries. Campsite finalists will be chosen daily by staff and festival goers.
- Daily Prizes will be chosen.
- String Summit Green Team will select the grand prize winner after the campground pack-out is complete on Monday.
How Do I Win?
We will be judging on three simple criteria:
- Cleanliness. Are you repackaging the food you bring? Are you keeping a tidy campsite? Are items secure and not susceptible to wind gusts? Are you safely disposing of cigarette butts?
- Sustainability. Are you separating your recyclables, compostables, and then placing them in the correct bins at the campsite waste stations? Are you reusing products (cups, utensils, water bottles, bags) instead of trashing them? Are you using any alternative energy sources to power your campsite? Did you bike or carpool to the festival; are you offsetting carbon emissions using wind credits or carbon offsets? Will you pack out as much as possible when leaving? Did you do anything to reduce your homes’ energy while attending the festival?
- Creativity. Does your campsite have a theme? Are you utilizing any unique and innovative camping techniques?
What Do I Win?
Random winners will be chosen each day to win String Summit “Green Team” Tshirts, Leave No Trace memberships, camping gear from Coleman Outdoor Products, and more. The two daily winners will be entered to win the grand prize of free festival passes for next year!
For More Information
Leave No Trace Center for Outdoor Ethics is an educational, nonprofit organization dedicated to the responsible enjoyment and active stewardship of the outdoors by all people, worldwide. Visit at www.LNT.org or call 1-800-332-4100